Adding and Deleting Fields to Tables
Even the best planned database will sometimes require you to add or delete a field in the Design View. To add a new field, select the row you want to insert above and choose Row from the Insert menu. If you need to delete a field, select the row containing the field and choose Delete Row from the Edit menu.
You can also move fields in the table design. Select the field you want to move by clicking on its row. A black triangle will appear to indicate the field is selected. Then, drag the field to the new location.
Cautions to Modifying your Table Design Structure
- Backup your table before you make any modifications to it.
- Deleting a field will delete the records in the field.
- If you delete a field and that field is used in any of your forms, queries or reports, you must also delete that field from these other documents.
- Renaming a field will have the same effect on a table as deleting the field.
- Resizing a field (making it smaller) may truncate the data in your forms or reports.