Information follows a lifecycle from creation, through access and use, to preservation. Without skilled professionals managing and designing the systems and services that provide people and groups with information, this valuable resource can be lost, remain hidden, and rendered useless or non-accessible.
Our focus is on information in its social context, from a single user searching for a document, to a government determining the access of its citizenry to public records. Our work reaches into schools and corporations, design companies and libraries, museums and archives, wherever people search for, read and store documented knowledge.
Our values are human-centered. Information is a social resource, and we educate the professionals who will ensure its continuity, its usability, and its accessibility, now and into the future.
Why study here?
- Our school ranks in the Top 10 nationally, and #1 in Archives & Preservation
- Over 90% of students are professionally employed within nine months of graduation
- Our alumni hold leadership positions at the state and national levels
- Our doctoral graduates hold faculty positions in some of the top schools in the nation
- We provide a dedicated Careers Office to assist alumni throughout their careers
- UT-Austin is home to world class collections in the arts and humanities
- With selective admission and a flexible curriculum, we provide education for a lifelong career
Our Mission in detail
Last Modified: July 11 2005 13:00:40.